| 2 comments ]

I am a college graduate. I received my degree a number of years ago and I have been working in my chosen field for most of the years since my graduation. I attended 3 different schools as I floundered about trying to decide exactly what I wanted to do with my life. I learned very little that was of real value. This begs the question: why do most people continue to push kids to go to college?


Attending college or not was never really in question for me, I was placed on the path very early on. There was no debate about it...I was going. I took all of the advanced placement courses offered in my school and decided on the vague profession of "engineering" as my aim. I knew basically nothing about what I was doing and I was about to spend massive amounts of someone else's money (scholarship!) on this decision. Naturally I hated everything about these courses within two months of beginning and I found my way out of there and eventually into information systems.

Somewhere over the years there seems to have been a shift in the perception of education in the US. It is difficult to pinpoint exactly when this shift started, but the results are evident. You may have seen the "Education Connection" advertisements on television. According to them you will potentially earn ONE MILLION more dollars over your lifetime with a degree than someone without. Has college become merely a glorified vocational school, is it sliding into complete irrelevance, or is everything A-OK?

Technical education has started to present a very unique set of problems for higher learning institutions. Look for posts about these issues later on, perhaps as part of a series.

2 comments

The Buttars Family said... @ June 8, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Good article. I really don't think it's about what you study as much as it is that you go and finish.

J.Rat. said... @ October 22, 2009 at 1:43 PM

I know you wrote this a while back, but I have been wondering the same thing. Like you, I was GOING to college. Now, I have gone to grad school (twice). Once on Uncle Sam and another time by working for peanuts and tuition. Now, I fall into the category a lot of people fall into. Overeducated, but the pay does not keep up with necessities of life nor paying back the government. So...go to college so you can earn so much more money, but the difference pays back what you borrowed in the first place. Why go then? I could have skipped 8+ years of higher education, worked at Denso and have more to show for my endeavors. Problem is: Uncle Sam won't get all of the money back. Once I am capable of attempting a payment, the longevity of the payback plan will exceed my life expectancy. I'm not so sure grad school was such a wise investment.

Post a Comment