| 3 comments ]

Here's a question for all you folks not reading this blog yet: Does anyone have any experience running Linux Mint on a Dell PowerEdge 1750 server? I happen to have an extra one just lying around with no hard drives. It does have USB, and I happen to have a 4GB SD card and a USB card reader. Can I install Mint on that card and boot it? I can use the CD-ROM drive but it's quite slow and quite unwriteable.

Another question, will the dual Xeon 2.8's be faster at video ripping/compression than my laptop's 1.7 Centrino Duo? Both machines have 2GB of RAM.

3 comments

Will said... @ April 7, 2009 at 12:41 AM

You might be able to run from the USB adapter, if the unit in question is able to boot from a USB jump drive. Judging by the documentation on the Dell support site it doesn't look like thats the case. Another low cost solution that you may consider, and that should definitely work, is to use an IDE adapter for CF memory cards. When last I looked, the adapter could be had on ebay for about $30 US, and includes an 8 Gig card. I would use this together with the painfully slow CD-ROM you mentioned to install Mint. All the other hardware, being Intel, should be fully supported by Linux Mint.

In regards to the second question, the dual Xeon machine should process video faster. In addition to the fact that it's speed per core is faster, it also has larger on-chip caches(512KB L2 and 1-2MB L3 depending on the cpu), which is a big plus when any audio/video processing is in question.

Hope this helps.

MBS said... @ April 9, 2009 at 1:32 PM

Thanks so much for the info! I was able to boot the server with a Mint CD in the drive and complete the USB installation. Then I ran into the issue you mentioned...no support for bootable USB devices. :(

The other issue I have is the lack of built-in IDE support for the system. Everything is SCSI, and I have no devices for it. I DO have an old Promise Ultra 66 IDE card that I hacked to the raid version years ago. I'll have to check and see if it still works.

This is going to be on interesting server once complete.

John Rocks said... @ April 16, 2009 at 2:10 AM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Post a Comment